Using the Soldiers Grove Library (and Southwest Library System) to check out e-books and audio on your personal computer or digital device requires three things before you can begin: an active library card, downloading and installing Overdrive, and creating an Adobe ID.
- You can download Overdrive from your device App store – Google Play, Apple Store, etc. – or by going to http://omc.overdrive.com/
- Once you have Overdrive, make sure you have activated online access to your library account. If you have not done so already, go to the Soldiers Grove Library catalogue. On the left hand side, follow the directions and enter your library card barcode and password. Please note, you will need an email account to fully activate your account.
- To set up an Adobe ID, go to the Adobe.com page and create an account.
In Overdrive, select your home library, sign in to SWLS using your library card barcode, and sign into Adobe ID. You can then search Overdrive for eBooks and other digital media.
Overdrive has two options: ‘Bookshelf’ and ‘Get Books’
‘Get Books’ is where you go to select new books to download and read. You can search for a specific author or title, or browse by category or genre, as well as opt to “view only books that are available for checkout”.
Things to know about digital checkouts:
- You may check out up to 10 items;
- Books will automatically be returned in 7 days;
- You can request to be put on a waiting list for a book if it is checked out;
- Some popular titles are only available through streaming and cannot be downloaded;
- If you decide against a book, it should be returned before you delete it from your device, thus freeing it up for other patrons to check out.